Thursday, September 25, 2008

We're GROWING!!

No matter how I try to stop it, our family is growing. At each birthday, I warn my kids not to turn another year older. No, do NOT grow another inch. But alas, who listens to mom? Not my kids. They are getting older, and taller and taller until riding in the car is more of a chore than anything..



"Get away from me." "You're on my spot!" "I want to sit in the FRONT!" "Move over!" "Mom, it's my turn to bring a friends, he got to last time." etc.



Not only do my kids not listen to me but my SUB is quiting on me as well. Little by little things are going wrong with it. I guess it is a consolation to know that suburbans are one of the hardest cars to break into. I actually found this out when I locked both sets of keys in the car at the gym a few years ago. The AAA guy told me that even with his slim jim it was going to be hard to open the door as they are the hardest car to get into. This actually proved to be true when I woke up one day, several months later, to find that both handles on the doors were almost falling out. Someone had tried to break in on BOTH sides. They didn't succeed but tweaked my car (carma to them!). $150 EACH for new handles. I'll live without them. (that was just for the parts)



The shop really did not believe me when I first brought it in and said the windshield wipers only work SOME of the time. He gave me "that look" and told me they were working fine when I came to pick it up (fortunately, I had brought it in for something else). To my satisfaction, it actually cooperated by not working when I tried to start them upon pickup. The shop guy gave me the "oh, sorry." look. $380 to fix windshield wipers? Forget it. It rarely rains here anyways.



No more kid songs in the car. The CD player has also developed a mind of its own in deciding when to work. I actually miss that.



New tires, new brakes needed, I'll go as long as I can I guess.



The A/C breaks down. No big deal, rolling down the windows to the cool ocean breeze in H.B. is not big deal, even in the summer.



The oil puddles under the rear-end AGAIN. The trailer has pulled the rear-end out. It just can't take it. I like the trailer and the vacations we spend in it.



Then we move to Murrieta in the dead of summer, 100 degree heat, No A/C, BIG DEAL. With all the $$ we have to spend to fix that car knowing the next time we take it on vacation the rear end will probably give again was the deciding factor.. We're getting a new (to us) car.



The old SUB. I sure enjoyed it. It handles like a car, smooth ride, was great and plenty roomy in the day.




But I must admit, it has been "mommed up" If you don't know what that means, please tune in to: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HEFE3B0Rje0 My friend Heather posted this on her site. I must unfortunately admit that I have had this service done to my poor SUB as the rear of my car will show. Honestly, my car has never been this filthy! I will miss my flip flops custom made at OC marketplace. It was fun watching people in the parking lot stop to count them all and exclaim on the number 7!


You know those things you say you will NEVER do when you are young and foolhearty? Will I've done it. I've officially become the owner of the mormon mom-mobile to the highest degree. We bought, and I actually wanted the extended 15 passenger van!! I am actually excited to have all the extra room for stuff, friends & fun. Not to mention it is a trailer pulling 1 ton superstar! We are excited to try it out on vaca to Aunt Darlene's this Thanksgiving. A 15 hour drive to Pie Town New Mexico (pop 300) to see Aunt Dar & Uncle Doug on their 160 acre horse ranch equiped with a trailer barn & breakfast with full hookups! (wer are making a stopover in Pheonix to see Uncle John & Aunt Allison on the way.


We purchased this beauty in San Diego. So we decided to do something fun while we were out there. I googled something fun and inexpensive and found the Miramar Marine airplane museum. Of course Kierstin didn't want to go but the rest of us had a blast!

The Planes were so cool!
How does all that metal stay suspended in the air? It's a mystery to me!

We loved it so much we are actually going back to Mira Mar this weekend Oct. 3rd for the airshow they're having. So if you're looking for something to do, come join us! Need a ride? Come by the house and we'll all load in. We have a little extra room now!


7 comments:

Heather said...

I think that a 15 passenger van might be surpassing a mormon mommy mobile! Now you can be the ride to all of the stake dances!!!! Maybe I can send my kids over for the day to "mom your ride" because they are professionals in that area!

Cynthia said...

I still can't believe you guys live just down the street. I haven't reached the ultimate mormon mom van decision yet but I'm sure it's coming. Congrats on getting the new wheels. I loved the story of the demise of the Suburban.

Kristin said...

LOVE the van. I'm glad you are having fun! That museum looks so fun...must go see it!!

Grammy Staffy said...

Congrats on the new van, I hope that you will really enjoy it. It sounds like you have planned a fun trip in Nov. How nice.

Love, Lura

Grammy Staffy said...

Rebecca, drop by my blog and pick up some blog love I have for you.
I gave you a blog award on my last post.

Have you gotten your bus drivers license yet so you can drive your new van?

Shannon said...

Wow you drove the sub. into the ground. Now you're sure to get a calling in YW with all the seating you can offer. Enjoy the new wheels.

Melanie Jacobson said...

The van rocks. But I hope we never outgrow a minivan. Even the idea gives me a headache!