Wednesday, September 10, 2008

A much needed retreat.. Arrowhead





This last weekend we took a much needed mini-vacation up to Lake Arrowhead. We have some very dear friends who are kind enough to let us enjoy the use of their cabin. We have been up there several time with them and have many fond memories of being there.




This couldn't have come at a better time. We didn't really take a vacation this summer with all our moving activities going on. In fact, I feel like my kids did get a little jipped at summer vacation this year. Usually we have a whole weekly schedule to count on and lots of little mini side trips to museums, amusement parks, camping trips, etc. This year it was, stay at home, have to keep it clean to sell. Then we moved and they had to jump right into school 2 weeks early. They handled it all so well. Thanks guys!




So we were really for a change of routine and it was nice to have something somewhat familiar in our somewhat unfamiliar new lifestyle.




We took the kids out of school a little early Friday to avoid the traffic and drove up the mountain. We just chilled, dad took the kids to get some videos while Tyson got his wiggles out and then we went to our favorite malt shop that The Wards introduced us to about 6 years ago:



It was established in 1948. The hamburgers are just delectible!! I have to admit that cheeseburgers are one of my favorite things to eat ever! I love their Stingray with Swiss cheese. Their shakes are made with real ice cream and made right before your eyes. How can Danny just get plain old vanilla and declare it 'the best he's ever had' I don't know.. BORING! Kierstin and I split a cookies and cream (cookies mashed before your eyes). Bradley finished off a chocolate shake, by himself. Bryce and Brian, well they really hit it. The waitress recommended this super delicious banana split shake with hot fudge & bananas. They sat at the counter and watched her line the glass with hot fudge, scoop in the ice cream, cut the bananas and mix them in and top it off with whipped cream. Their eyeballs were about as big as the shakes. I wish I would have got a pic but it was too much to do that and try to keep Typhoon Tyson from destroying the place while we waited for his food. I think Brian summed it up when he turned around and said "Wow, this is GREAT!" I even like the fries which are freshly cut potatoes seasoned with season salt.


We enjoyed quiet time at the cabin after that and the kids watched their corny "The Mask" movie with dad (remember the one with Jim Carey & Cameron Diaz). We put the Tysters to bed and Brad, Bryce, Brian Danny and I played out a game of Life. (Kierstin slept off her seminary mornings, much deserved)!


Next day we woke up late (yippe, Ty slept in till 8:00). Then we went out on the Lake. It was perfect. It was hot out, but not too bad so the Lake felt really refreshing, yes, I actually got in. It felt so wonderful. They boys and I kayaked over to the island, Bradley & Bryce in one and Brian and I in the other. I thought I'd have to tow them over but they made it there and back all on their own!
Here we are at the Village
Dad entertaining Tyson


We ate dinner up there and while I cleaned up dad took the boys on a hike up the mountain. I knew the moment they entered covered in dirt, that it was a great success.


Kierstin had fun chilling and reading her book "The Life of Pi" for school.


An overall much needed, relaxing mini-vacation!


Thank You WARDS!!

6 comments:

Grammy Staffy said...

Ahh, it sounds like such a nice mini-vacation. I'm glad you all had such a nice time.

Heather said...

I love a little bit of vacation!

Melanie Jacobson said...

It's so fun keeping up with your adventures out there. I HAVE to try that tortilla soup recipe. Yum!

Shannon said...

What a great little get-away.

I think I need to come visit you... I can't really believe that you have five kids. I think I need to see it for myself.

Shannon said...

Corbin is home from school around 11;45, but he doesn't have school on fridays. I think Drake is in afternoon Kinder. So a Friday might work best (Corbin still naps from about 1-3:00). Lets work it out either way.

Erin said...

Gosh, I love Arrowhead! It reminds me of girl's camp and all of our childhood fun up there!

What a great get away!