Wednesday, September 10, 2008

YUM! - Mommy's little helper!

I consider my friend, Kristin, to be the recipe connoisseur. She loves searching for new yummy recipes and is even good about trying them out right away. I'm always calling her for ideas. You may recall my previous post as to how much I dread the cooking aspect of my job. She is always posting the yummy recipies she has found on her blog. She inspired me to do the same. That way, when I put together my blog book, I'll always have them.

I was trying to decide what I should have for the kids for an after school snack today. I looked around and found I had the perfect number of baking banans (the ones that are almost black all over) - 3 for banana bread. And I have the BEST banana bread recipe ever. I'm sorry Kristin, but the BEST banan bread recipe winner goes to my friend, Mary Jane Seely.
My mom used to make banana bread at Christmas every year. It was O.K. but kind of dry (sorry mom). Every so often someone would say "you have to try this recipe." I would but it wasn't good enough to try again. So I was never a big fan of banana bread. That was UNTIL I had Mary Jane's banana bread. Now I try to leave a few bananas to ripen on purpose so I have an excuse to make it. My kids can't get enough of it.
Kristin, here's your next taste test!!

For my H.B. 4th ward friends, the recipe is in the most current recipe book (the black one). Mary Jane and I both submitted it. For the rest of you, here it is:

The BEST Banana Bread
¾ C. butter
1 ½ C. mashed bananas (about 3)
2 eggs, beaten
1 tsp. vanilla
1 ½ C sugar
2 C flour
1 tsp. baking soda
¾ tsp. salt
½ C buttermilk (key ingredient)
½ C nuts (optional)
1. Combine softened butter, eggs & sugar until creamy. Add vanilla, buttermilk & mashed bananas until thoroughly mixed.
2. Add flour, salt & baking soda.
3. Mix in nuts if so desired at the end.
4. Bake at 325 for 1 hour and 15 minutes if using a large loaf pan, 1 hour if 2 small loaves.

I DARE you to tell me it's not THE BEST!!

Here's a picture of it:
Here's a picture of my helper of the day... Brian!


What? You ca't see him? It's crazy, but the kitchen in this house we're renting is big as my old kitchen dining/room/living room combined. Do I need this much space to make banana bread? Not really. I feel very absurd but it's kind of fun and will be even more fun to entertain in. We can put a large feast on the island in the middle.

Here is Brian helping:




Here he is enjoying the "fruits" of our labor:

Who doesn't like to lick the bowl? I wish I didn't. Maybe I could fit back in my old jeans.

Here is the BEST tortilla soup recipe ever, no joke. I LOVE it. It is from this great lady in H.B. 4, Marlene Moore. You'd never meet a sweeter lady. Her cooking is to die for. I haven't tried anything she has made and haven't just HAD to get the recipe. ...

Northpark Tortilla Soup

3 cups shredded poached chicken breast
3 T olive oil
1 C diced onion
¼ C seeded and diced red pepper
¼ C diced celery
¼ C peeled and diced carrots
½ T minced garlic
2 tsp. ground coriander
2 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1 tsp pure red chile powder
1 tsp dried oregano
½ tsp cayenne
1 C canned crushed tomatoes
2 quarts chicken broth
10 corn tortillas torn into ½ inch pieces
¼ C nacho cheese sauce or similar cheese product (I DON’T USE)
1 C heavy cream
Crispy tortilla strips
¼ C cilantro for garnish

Pour olive oil into a large, heavy bottomed saucepan and set over medium heat. Add the onion, bell pepper, celery and carrot and sauté for about 4 minutes, stirring often until the vegetables are soft and the onion is translucent. Add the garlic, cumin, coriander, paprika, chile powder, oregano and cayenne. Saute, while stirring, for about 2 min. Add the tomatoes and chicken broth. Bring to a boil. Turn down heat to low and add the torn tortilla pieces. Let soup simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally, until the tortillas have disintegrated and the soup has thickened. Add the reserved shredded chicken, the cheese sauce and the cream. Simmer for 15 minutes longer. Garnish with cilantro if desired.

I'm making Kristin's molasses cookie recipe tomorrow and pumpkin cake on Sunday so stay tuned for those most excellent recipes!

LUV YA Kristin! Thanks for your inspiration

3 comments:

Heather said...

Yum! I make my banana bread with a few mini chocolate chips or butterscotcsh chips in it! The soup sounds great!

Kristin said...

Okay, I'll try your banana bread recipe...but I have a contender for ya! I'll e-mail you what I deem as the winner of the best ever banana bread recipe and we'll see what you think! LOVE that pumpkin cake. AND LOVE YOUR SWEET KITCHEN!!!

Michele said...

That's my kind of kitchen!! I didn't even realize you & MJ put in the same recipe!! Oh well... twice the yumminess!