Thursday, September 4, 2008

Brad's BackpackS - I should have trusted mom.


Transitioning into a new school year is always hard. It makes it a step harder when you're going into Middle School and a step harder even still when you have moved and you're brand new and don't know ANYONE.

I think we all cringe when we think back to our middle school years, I know I do. In some ways it's worse than high school. You're hitting puberty and trying to adjust to a body that is trasnforming into an adolescent. You're trying to figure out who you really are; testing boundaries, rules your parents have set for you, finding friends that mesh and, of course, trying to stay fashionable within it all....

At least, I know it (fashion) was a big deal for me. I remember hounding my poor mother into buying me a $50 pair of white Guess jeans that I knew she couldn't afford but she bought them for me anyways. (I'm sorry mom!) I still feel bad about it but I did LOVE those jeans and was truly grateful and took extra good care of them.

All of this is in my mind as I am shopping for school supplies with my oldest son who is currently stepping into his middle school 6th grade life. With Kierstin, she could care less about what's in and what's not. I secretly admire how she is strong enough to resisit the fashion trends and could care less if her jeans were above the waistline. (yes, girls got on her case about it in 5th grade). No big deal to her, who cares? They are comforable. I am so grateful for my daughter who DARES to be above such things and CARES about modesty not what's in. My pocketbook has been grateful too.

BRADLEY, is me in male persona. Things have to be only THIS color, ONLY Vans shoes, etc.. O.K., I'm good at shopping sales, etc. I have patience, I REMEMBER the $50 jeans, saving my babysitting $$ for THAT dress. We look at backpacks at Office Depot and Target. They are not Etnie or from Tillys. I don't know where a Tillys is in Murrieta. We are going to H.B. this weekend. Do you want to wait until then to get a backpack? I ask. (I have a 20% off 1 item coupon). Yes.

Next morning, only the 2nd day of school, we are driving to school and he is in TEARS because he doesn't have a backpack. Everyone will ask him why he doesn't have one. Where is his backpack? I ask him what happened to "we'll wait and go to H.B. this weekend, I can live without one?..." Obviously a transformation over night. He is obstinately refusing to go to school. I try the mom coaxing, it will be all right, tough it out, you can live through another day... no good. I resort to You have to go or no video games for a week... I don't care. I see how upset he is and feel his pain. O.K., let's go to Sport Authority and look at backpacks, I'll take you to school a little late.

We get there, buy a cool all black backpack... $40 (I lement my unused coupon, Oh well).

I walk him into the office to excuse his absence. The morning announcements are on. We hear the tale end of it.. "so and so and Bradley Baak. You can pick up your prizes in the office." What? How many Bradley Baaks can there be at this school? He's only been there one day. The lady in the front says he might as well get his prize since he's up there.... Imagine my MIXED emotions when the principal calls him over and tells him his PE coach nominated him for the student of the day yesterday and the prize is... AN EDDIE BOWER BACK PACK! (worth $50 and full of supplies) I just look at Bradley and don't even say it.
Lesson learned... trust mom when she says it will be alright!!

5 comments:

Allison said...

Of course he'll be fine, He's Bradley! Great post.

Unknown said...

That is so wonderful to hear that he won a prize. It is so wonderful to be able to read about what adventures you all are going on while out there. I and i know mary can;t wait to see you. Please say hi to the family for me. Lots of love to you all.

Heather said...

There is a Tillys by Del Lago only 25 to 30 minutes away from you! Just so you don't have to drive to HB!

Mom's are always right, at least I am!

Grammy Staffy said...

Oh my goodness..... I hope that you kept the receipts and took the first one back.

Who would have guessed????

Congrats, Bradley

Erin said...

How cool is that to be picked as student of the day! What a good kid!

Yeah, mom's have that inner intuition! I can't wait to get that super power!!