Thursday, September 18, 2008

Kudos to Kierstin

I just have to give a "Kudos" to my lovely Kierstin. (this is her last year's pic). This year started the year I've been dreading since she started school, (yes 10 years ago).. SEMINARY!

Not that I'm against seminary. I KNOW for a fact it is such a wonderful way to innoculate these wonderful kids as they go off into the much infested world of high school. However, Kierstin and I are NOT what you call morning people. Having to be up and ready for elementary school to start by 8:05 every morning was killer. Let's put it this way. We got to walk to Moffett School every morning (yes I did take that for granted). Kierstin's room was always the one closest to home. Bradley's was on the other side of the school. Poor Bradley who was always waiting around for Kierstin had at least 5 tardies per semester on his report. When Kierstin left for Jr. High, he amazingly never had another tardy, ever! Enough said.

I have to admit that my seminary years saw a "few" tardies on my roll sheet (no divulging just how many Erin, Heather or Shannon!) . Kierstin gets that from me. So it is with some dread and much trepidation that I was looking forward to having to wake Kierstin up at 5:20 in the morning so she could be to seminary that starts at 6:00 a.m. cuz high school starts at 7:30.

Yes, poor Kierstin will have to do this for the rest of her high school career, all 4 of them but I must say how about poor me? I GET to do this for the next 18 years of my kids' lives!!

Well, the first week, Kierstin got up really well. Fortunately, we get to carpool with her friend Ms. Callie Campbell who lives up the street from us. They were driving the first week so she got up pretty well and was ready to go when the quiet little knock on the door came. I thought, yeah, that's the first week.

2nd week, my turn to drive. I thought, "oh no, here comes the complaining and I'm going to have to do the whole "you want to choose the right, don't you?" speech... Nope, she got out the door without a complaint. 4 weeks later, Kierstin is still getting up and out the door on time and I have not heard ONE WORD of complaint out of her. (the morning groan when the light goes on, doesn't count). I've heard a few other mothers express how they have had to give that CTR talk to their kids already.

WAY TO GO KIERST! I'm so inawed of that solid moral compass you have within yourself that keeps you solidly on the right path. You are even learning all of your scripture mastery scriptures. YOU ARE AWESOME!! Keep on the path and you'll be so glad you did and we'll celebrate forever! Seminary will be worth it cuz it will help you to get there.

Luv, your grateful, proud, in awed.... mom

7 comments:

Grammy Staffy said...

Yea for Kierstin! What a good little gal.

I know what you are saying about seminary... I was so excited when my kids were finally old enough to drive themselves to it each morning.

How is life in your new house? Does it seem like home yet?

Thanks for stopping by my blog. I love hearing from you.

Kristin said...

That is impressive! I am not looking forward to those early days. I hope my kids have the same attitude as K. I haven't made the banana bread yet...bananas don't last long with Sophie around! But I will def. try it soon. How did the cookies turn out?

Melanie Jacobson said...

Go, Kierstin!

Shannon said...

Arg, seminary for the next 18 years Rebecca. That sounds like so many. How wonderful that Kierstin is setting such a great example for the rest of the kids.(However i bet they are all sleeping right through it). So here's too 17 7/8 more years to go. (or something like that).

Erin said...

Honestly, looking back, I don't know how we did it! I hate getting up before 7:30am. I have to admit, now that we live in Utah and it's incorporated into high school I feel mighty proud telling the young women in my ward that I went to early morning seminary. WE ARE WARRIORS!! smile!

Sacrifice brings blessings... that means for both you and Kierstin!

Are you really old enough to have a seminary student? Holy cow!

Heather said...

Yah, that does not sound so nice. I am not a happy morning person, I usually drop the kids off with my pjs still on. I can only say that I will look forward to Madison getting her license and driving herself, then she can drive Drake his freshman year and so on. I hope that I find a fabulous older kid who will be willing for gas money!!!!!!

Kyra said...

Kiersty-poo's wonderful! Way to go Kierst!!! I'm an early bird and a night owl, so I never got sleep anyway...then seminary started, which completely messed up my sleeping patterns. ;) I'm glad Kiersty at least is doing good. <3