Wednesday, April 22, 2009

When I have grown a foot or two...(?!)

I ran across this pic looking through some albums and forgot to blog it.
About every other day, Bradley runs up next to me and asks Danny "I'm taller than mom now, right?" And FORTUNATELY, Danny will chuckle and say, "you still got an inch or two Brad!" Then I turn to him and remind him that I am still in charge, even when he is taller! I will always be mom no matter how far up I have to look at my son!

And sadly, I have to admit, that is NOT going to be at 16 like my dillusional self thought when my sweet, happy, dimpled Bradley was born. He is, not quite 12 and OFF THE CHARTS for height!
I have to constantly remind myself, that he is not as old as he looks. He is still just an 11 year old boy in that 14 year old body (thank goodness).
You know how the song goes, "I hope they call me on a mission, when I have grown a foot or two." Well, I have to say, Bradley has not got the or 2 part before he outgrows us all. Is this really my sweet "little" dimpled, good natured boy? Yes, he is still inside that GROWING body.
I am relieved to say that he is still NOT embarrassed to give his mom a hug and a kiss before school.
Well, a mission is 7 years down the line but I know how quickly it is going to fly by. About 14 years ago I was sitting teary eyed and choked up in the H.B. 4th ward during the Draeger boys' missionary farewell. I think I was pregnant with Kierstin. Danny looks over at me and asks what's wrong. I turn to him and tell him I was just thinking about when our boys would go on a mission. His reply "we don't even have any sons yet!" .....
Here we are, 4 boys later. His life with us is half over. He is going to turn 12 in 3 short months. Have I taught him everything he needs to know? Does he really realize how special that is? He's getting close to that "finding process" of his life (finding a testimony for himself) Danny and I certainly encourage the kids constantly to find a testimony that what we are teaching them about the gospel is true for themselves. Will he do it? Have I helped plant some sturdy roots to support his testimony on its own? It's hard to let go and find out. Fortunately, I still have prayer and the knowlege that he has another set of parents who love him as much (and yet more!) than I and will make up for what I have neglected. That is a great comfort.
Life certainly flies by. Has anyone found the recipe for slowing it down yet?

2 comments:

Heather said...

Wow he is tall! But then again he has tall parents! Time does fly.

Unknown said...

Bradley is definantly growing tall!!! I think yes you are on the right track teaching ALL your children what they need to know spirtitually!!!! I have been to many a gospel discussions at your house and seen how you and Danny answer any questions that your children have, and encourage them to find out on their own. You are great parents!!!!

Mary