Wednesday, April 29, 2009

New Menu item at Casa de la Baak!

I'm sure I have expressed the bane of my job... cooking.
However, I do try my very best to make sure that I make a nice, nutritious, homemade meal and even make breakfasts in the mornings. (we have cereal once a week).
However, I do feel like I get stuck in a rut. I hear a lot of "this, again." With a family of 7, it's hard to please everyone. There's nothing more irksome to me than to hear someone complain after I've spent a lot of time and energy doing something I do not really enjoy. So I tend to stick to the tried and true menus that get the least amount of groans.
I really would like to branch out and try something else, honestly. However, it has to be worth the grunts and groans and has to be something that I feel will live past the 'after it's been placed in front of them 10 times, they'll eventually eat it' (which I have found to be true.)
So, Sunday night, I tried something new....
and yes, I got the "what's that!" "What exactly is in this? Or my favorites, "YUCK!" & "I hate this." (even though I've never made it before.
So we suffered through the 1st time dinner jitters and no one died, vomited or even gagged. It all made it down. Although there was alotta the 1st time comments floating around the table.
Finally, Danny looks at me and says "I see why you rarely make something new!"
Understanding at last!!
Our new dinner:
Chicken foil dinners
On a square of aluminum foil:
(make 1 per person)
Spread a spoonful of your fav. bbq sauce
2-3 small red potatoes, thinly sliced
a few green/red peppers
a few slices of onion
a 1/2 a chicken breast
salt and pepper
another spoonful of BBQ sauce
fold in the aluminum foil. Bake at 375 for 35. Open foil and add a sprinkling of cheddar (or your fav.) cheese. Bake additional 5 minutes. Probably would make a good camping foil dinner.

2 comments:

Heather said...

I so feel your pain. Drake is my worst...he even has made himself throw up. I made your yummy orange sauce and we loved it...Drake said he liked it but the real test is the 2nd time for him.

Kristin said...

I love this post! I am so there. Tonight I made enchiladas and I even taste tested them and they are awesome! I showed the kids the dish the second they entered the kitchen - alex's nose crinkled up, Matt said, "Mom you shouldn't make new things." I love the foil dinner idea though. Must try.