Thursday, June 25, 2009

Moving Up!

June is always such a crazy month for us. If I can get all the posts in, you'll see why
(and it's not even over yet!!)

The kids officially got out of school 2 weeks ago, on June 12.
Kierstin made it through her frosh year
Brad, the first year (6th) of middle school
Bryce is onto being an offical "upper grader" in elementary (4th, year next)
and Brain... has made it with flying colors through kidnergarten...

we were so glad dad could make it too!




I have to give a special kudos to Brian for surviving his kidnergarten year, really.
This is Mrs. Krahn. She was really nice and we enjoyed her for the last 3 weeks of school.
Not only that, she was his 3rd teacher for the year. Yes, #3!!
When we moved here at the beginning of the school year, we came in 2 days after the school year had officially started. He started with a wonderful teacher, Mrs. Romano. He LOVED her. In mid-October she told me that she heard they would be switching students around. They had over 20 kids in each class which is a no-no if you want state funding. She said how much she loved Brian and told the Principal that she didn't mind have 21 if she could just keep him. she asked I put up a fight for it, us being new and all.
My heart sunk. I've been in the PTA trenches and know how it works. No one wants to get switched. The last on the totem poll, the last to enroll, are shuffled around. How else do you choose? So when the dreaded phone call came, I was ready. I wasn't prepared for the switch from morning to afternoon time which did not go over well for Brian. I think he had had it with change, too much moving around literally. I did make a plea, but, predictably, I got the "your the lowest on the totem poll" speal.
So on to Mrs. Barrett's class we went (Have to find a pic of her). She was great but brand new and young and not as fun as experienced Mrs. Romano. Brian learned to love her. The upside, there were only 12 kids in his class from October on!
I got a phone call 3 days later telling me 3rd grade was at its capacity too. They hired a new teacher for that one and of course, Bryce was low on the totem pole. He liked Mrs. Castillo; his friend was in his class. He didn't mesh so well with stern Mr. Ennis who truly piled out homework. That on top of bullying made Bryce look forward to the idea we would be in a new school boundary.
Then, we moved into our new home here in Copper Canyon. We are in a new school boundary. The boys actually said they wanted to switch over right away but I didn't think they realized what that meant. They didn't really ever mesh at Tovashall (especially Bryce) but I didn't think it would be healthy to switch them the last 6 weeks of school. I talked them into staying.
Bad mistake. I kept hearing my new neighbors tell me "have you enrolled in school yet? No? You'd better get right over there! They're filled up!"
What did that mean? For this year, right? How can that apply to the next year. If you live in the boundary they have to take you... right? Turns out, no! So different in H.B. Enrollment is down, schools not full. Here, the school really is at its physical capacity. I was 11th on the waiting list. Doesn't look good. However... if I enrolled and they started tomorrow, before the end of the year their priority jumps up over all the waiting list kids and almost gauranteed enrollment... You're KIDDING!
Why is there a waiting list you're thinking? Well, who's crazy enough to uproot their poor child the last 3 weeks of school and put him in a new one?
Fortuantely, this is what the boys wanted all along. They weren't phased. They were phased when I told them there was a slight possibility we might not get into Cole Canyon next year. They didn't want to go back to Tovashall.
So, 3 teachers for 1 year for them both! Bryce ended up really liking his new teacher, Mr. Reagan.
Kudos to my resilient Bryce & Brian!!

No comments: