Friday, June 19, 2009

Freshman Year DOWN!



And mom is freaking out!!



I can't believe my daughter has finished her freshman year of HIGH SCHOOL and will be a SOPHOMORE in 2 short months. YIKES!

Logically, you know this day will come. Experienced mothers will look at you with your little ones pitching a fit in the grocery store line and wisely say "treasure the moments, they go by fast." You paste on a "thanks for the tip" grin and go on your way but it's oh so true.

It's hard to remember when you're in the thick of it all to slow down and treasure the moments, truly. Do you have those days where you look at your kids and it's like they've grown right before your eyes? You realize, "good grief, she looks so much older!" I have those days where it seems like I've been away and are just seeing them for the first time again and realize how much they've grown! It's shocking. I have to do a reality check and wonder if I'm teaching her all she needs to know cuz it's getting too late.

I have to say, sending my "little girl" off to high school this year was harder than sending her off to kidnergarten, truly! Taking her for her placement tests, this time last year, I drove away shedding many tears! I remember how fast my high school years passed and I realize it's going to go all the faster being on the mother side of things. I only have 3 more years left with her under my roof (if she gets her way and goes to BYU!)

Mostly, I REMEMBER high school all too clearly. It's like throwing her into the gladiator arena in a way. Did I go over the lessons on how to prepare her self? Did I prepare her with her armor of God to withstand life's cruelest of blows? I got out O.K., but just. I have some scarring to prove it. Can I help her come out as clean as she came in....?

Kierstin, I have to say, you are as prepared as you can be. In fact, I know you will come out much more unscathed than me. You are obedient and true and hardworking and most importantly, on on the course; acadmeically (straight As) and most importantly spiritually!

That medal around her neck.... is for completing her first year of seminary and memorizing all 25 scripture mastery scriptures! YOU GO GIRL!! Dad and I love you and are so proud of you and the path you're on. Just STAY ON IT and you'll be fine!

1 comment:

Grammy Staffy said...

Kierstin is so beautiful... no wonder you hated sending her off to high school.... however, I remember when her beautiful young mom was in 10th grade... she was sweet and spiritual and a great friend for my daughter...they both turned out great... I bet Kierstin will follow in her mom's footsteps and you have nothing to worry about. If I were a betting person I would bet on it.

Love, Lura