Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Tribute to the ga-ga begone experts... Mary & Patty!

Danny, Kierstin and I got to participate in a pioneer trek 2 weeks ago during the end of spring break (post to come). While we were gone, we entrusted the care of our precious boys to Aunt Mary & Aunt Patty. I think we were more worried about the toll it would take on them rather than how the boys would do. The boys adore them in every sense of the word. I always tell them they have their own fan club.

Of course we came home and everybody was healthy and happy and sad to see Mary and Patty leave.

Little did Mary know that when she left she took something with her she didn't know was along for the ride.

Mary had told me that Tyson had only had 1 ga-ga (bottle) during the whole time we were gone and that was because he caught her with it. That was for 2 days! Not only that but the little stinker didn't pitch a fit in the middle of the night like he has been 3 times a night for the last year of his life. Danny just looked at me and said "I told you it wasn't his reflux!"

In any case, I'm a seasoned 5 kid mom; I know the golden opportunity when I see it. No need for ga-ga when mom is gone, don't need it when she's here. Ga-ga begone!!

So when Tyson asked for it after Mary left that night, I patiently explained to him that Aunt Mary took his ga-gas to the babies because he is a big boy now! He looked at me with this look:

on his face and said "oh" as I handed him his "fun froggy" cup. So every time he has asked for it, I explain to him that Mary took them.


He still asks for it once a day, even today. But he doesn't get upset or pitch a fit. He just says "oh" and accepts his froggy or airplane cup cuz "he's a big boy, not a baby!"

Brian asked me today if Mary really had taken the "ga-gas."....

Confession; no, Mary did not take his ga-gas to the babies she works with because I didn't think of it in time.

Rationalization: But, Mary did tell him he is a big boy and she has ga-gas she gives to babies at her work.

In any event, he is ga-ga free!! Not a tear shed. I think he really understands the baby thing cuz he has had a chance to be around Matthew Campbell and seen him drinking a ga-ga. We had talked about how babies need ga-gas but he was a big boy! I'm glad we had done that prelude.

Sleeping through the night, well, I can always dream about it. But we are on a good track. There may be a light at the end of the tunnel!

Mary & Patty, YOU ROCK!!


Love,
Your Fan club!

2 comments:

Shannon said...

Congrats, that is a big step for a little one. We don't have a bottle problem over here but we do have a pacifier addiction. Maybe I should borrow Mary and Patty?

Unknown said...

ok Rebecca I don't know about being an expert of anything!!! But I (as well as Patty) thanks you for the compliment!!! I read in a book once that one good way to get your toddler off their addiction to either the "ba-ba," "ga-ga," or "binkie" is to have someone that your child isn't familier with everyday and have them sleepover or have your child go to their house and sleep without said object, or one for ONLY emergencies, maybe that is what happened in this case. It works for me at preschool too.