Saturday, May 30, 2009

Good times with forever friends



They are the best of times, they are the worst of times....

I think these words ring true for the high school years; at least for my high school years. I was the typical know it all teenager, which ,of course, was when I was in the worse of times.

Of course, that was the time of the "me bubble", the term I've coined for that lovely time of life when the world is all about me, myself and moi. I've told my pre-teens, Kierstin and now Bradley, that when you turn that lovely age of 11ish that Satan wraps you in this "Me Bubble." Where the world is about "me" and how life is so unfair to "me" and why does everything happen to "me", etc. Your job is to burst out of it as soon as you can. That when you start looking outside the bubble and thinking more about others, etc., you will find you are happier and smarter for it. Of course, some are better at it than others.

I also found the dear prophet's counsel to be oh so true... Surround yourself with people with the same values and morals as you'd like to have and that's who you'll become and follow after... SURPRISE!! Oh so true.

All those awful moments I'd like to erase from my life's history happened when I was NOT hanging out with my Corona Stake buddies. When I was with them, life was good and fun. Those are the images I will conjure in my mind on a dull day to bring me something to smile about.

There were about 30 of us (give or take, depending on the weekend, etc) that would hang out on the weekends. There were dances, parties at Erin and Ross's house, tag in the orange grove, T.P.ing , ice blocking, firesides etc. Good, honest fun! I'm so grateful for this group of friends and for all the good times that I love to reminisce about. When a song from the radio will pop me back to all those dances ("I'd Stop the World" - Modern english, "Rock-Lobster" - B-52s, Oingo Boingo, New Order). I'll crank up the radio full tilt, roll down the windows and belt it out and my kids will sink down in their seats and wonder how they got stuck with a crazy mother.


Anyway, my dear friend Erin Staffanson (McGibbon now) just recently added to her family tree. An adoreable boy named Calan. Erin has lived in Utah for the past 12(?)years and I rarely get to see her. So when she said she'd be in the area a few of us met up Heather Fornter (Cecila), Melissa Taylor (Snow) and myself. (I've been so happy to reconnect with Heather since I've moved to Murrieta and it's a 10 minute drive to her house in Elsinore)! We ate and talked and looked at our kids and wondered where they came from. Weren't we 16 yesterday? My mind says yes, but my body says "NO!"

In any case, it was a wonderful afternoon. So fun to slip back into friendships like we've never seperated. LOVE YOU BEAUTIFUL LADIES!!! Hope to get Shannon & Rebecca out with us next time and whoever else is close enough to us!!! Hope my kids find good friends like these to pass their adolescent years through with.

3 comments:

Erin said...

We were so blessed, it's true! You were always such a good friend to me! Thank you so much my friend! Amazing how after so many years we can pick up exactly where we left off.

I hope that our little family can be equally blessed with such great friends!

Shannon said...

Oh I so wished I could have been with you guys. I think all the time about how lucky we were to have such a great group of friends in High School. Really I don't think it will ever be matched, but I do hope, like you, that our kids will make something similar happen. Our parents lucked out.

Rebecca said...

So nice that you all got together...time flies. But you know, even though your body may tell you you're not 16...none of you look as old as I know we all are! You all look FABULOUS!