Thursday, January 8, 2009

"It's all in the Name"

I made my mother-in-law's whole wheat pancakes from scratch this morning. The best thing about them is that I don't like them with syrup. I like them either with strawberry jam or fresh strawberries mashed with a tiny bit of syrup or even straight with a little butter. So good for you, n0 butter or oil or anything! I even freshly grind the wheat. My kids will eat them, but of course they're not as good as the "regular" pancakes. I used to make them all the time but had got out of the habit. However, as a new year resolution our FAMILY is now going to be eating better.

As I was reading the recipe this morning I had to chuckle. I put it in our ward's latest cookbook. I labeled them "Yummy Whole Wheat Pancakes." Apparently, the name of a recipe can be very influential. I was thumbing through the cookbook with Bryce a while back. He is my little baker's assistant. If I even get out the BOSCH he is over in a flash ready to help.

In any case I came across that page with the recipe and Bryce says "mom, you should make these whole wheat pancakes instead of the ones you usually make."

I laughed so hard tears came out of my eyes. Of course he looks at me with a bewildered look on his face. I had to explain; "Bryce, these ARE the pancakes I usually make!"

Bryce: "But these say YUMMY!"

It's all a matter of opinion I guess.

YUMMY Whole Wheat pancakes
Divide 4 eggs with the yolk in a large mixing bowl and the whites in a medium bowl.
To the yolks add:
2 C buttermilk
1 1/2 C whole wheat flour
2 tsp. baking powder
1 tsp. baking soda
1/2 tsp. salt
2 T honey

Whip the whites until stiff peaks form. Fold into the yolk mixture. Bake on medium heat until cooked well through. I add blueberries or chocolate chips.

1 comment:

Erin said...

That is so funny! It reminds me of teaching school... if I called something a "game" they totally got into it and had fun. If I just called it a practice or an exercize they would often roll their eyes... yep, it's all in the presentation!