Sunday, January 4, 2009

Christmas tree to the max!!

When I was a little girl, we had an artificial tree to save money and because my mom, dad and sister are all allergic to a real tree. I was always so jealous when my friends would go with their families to choose a real tree. I loved the smell of it the look, everything. I guess we always want what everyone else wants when we're little.

Of course I vowed to always get a real tree when I had my own family someday! From the moment I got out on my own, we have always got a real tree. I still love the whole thrill of going out to find "the one." I love the feel in the air and the smell of the lots.

As the kids have got involved, they of course, have always wanted the biggest tree we could fit. In the past, it has always been a 6-7 footer as we have had 8 foot ceilings and with the stand and the star, it was always a tight fit.

Well, this year, our new home has 10 foot ceilings so we could actually get a 9 foot tree! although ,when we got to the lot, our kids were convinced we could fit a 16 foot tree in "that spot by the stairs." Danny and I laughed. I thought I was always bad at gaging measurement. When someone says, "oh, it's about a foot", I am clueless to how big or small that may be. However, I was fairly confident we did not have room for a 16 foot tree. Although, trying to talk them out of it was hysterical. We finally said "look, we'll take it home and you'll see, this one barely fits."
So we settled for a 9 footer this year. Wow, I was beginning to worry that I was gathering too many ornaments to fit on a tree anymore. that may have been true for our 7 footer but the 9 footer, it all fit nicely (although I did have to buy 3 extra strands of lights!)

In the end, Kierstin and Bradley had a nice little "oops," laugh at themselves when they realized just how tall 16 feel would have been and how inconvenient it would have been to crawl up the railing of the stairs to go around it! Tyson just kept looking at it like he was amazed we actually brought a tree in the house! It all turned out lovely in the end!

Tyson, loved it all! He even brought refreshments!

I think Kierstin thinks she's getting too old for our traditions!! (sad thing is she only has 3 more left!)


Voila, proof that our 9 foot tree was the perfect fit!!

No comments: