Monday, June 9, 2008

Brian Really Turns 5!




A few days after Thanksgiving we were in line at the grocery store and the clerk asked Brian how old he was. He told the lady he was 5. I said, "Brian, you're not 5 yet, until your birthday in June." He turned to me and said, "no, I'm 5 NOW!" I wasn't going to argue in the store so we walked out, loaded the car and then I pressed the matter again. I asked him why he thought he was 5 already. He went on to tell me how he and his brother (Bryce) had got the wishbone off the turkey at Thanksgiving. Bryce had explained to him how the person that broke off the larger piece got to have their wish come true. Apparently, he had managed to wrestle the larger piece from his older brother and wished that he would be 5 and so he assumed he was 5. Of course, the practical mother I am, explained to him that it doesn't work that way. He looked up at me with those big blue eyes and said, "So mom, you mean that wishes don't come true?"


How can I dash hopes and dreams of youth? Of course wishes can come true in a very real sense. So I rack my brain for a good explaination and came up with; "Well, if you are already 5 then that means we didn't get to celebrate with you at your birthday party!" That brought on tears that he ruined his life by wishing that wish and now he didn't get a birthday party. I explained to him that all he had to do was unwish it by not telling people he is 5 and we could still celebrate his birthday on the real day. He was much relieved and I silently patted myself on the back and at the same time wondered why we adults, go through all this trouble of Santa Clause, the Tooth Fairy, etc.?!
In any event, On June 2nd, 2008, Brian turned 5 years old. We invited several of his friends over to play in our above ground pool. Although it wasn't exactly warm, it was sunny and most of his friends braved the water even if a few lips did turn blue! We got out and warmed up wacking on the pinata & eating pizza, ice cream and cake.
At the end of the day as I was putting Brian in bed I found him crying. When I asked him what was wrong he said, "Turning 5 was the best day of my life and I don't want it to end! Can't every day be like this!"
My wish for you my sweet Brian, is that although EVERY day may not be like this, that very many days will be!























8 comments:

Erin said...

Man, you are a quick thinker! Good job! I'm so glad he had a great birthday, now that he's REALLY 5 years old!

He is a doll... You are in big trouble in about 10 years (probably sooner)! He's gonna be a heart breaker for sure!
What a cutie!

Allison said...

What a cute story! Happy Birthday Brian!

Heather said...

Happy Birthday cute boy!

Drake told everyone he was 7 the year he was 4, good times! Since he turned 5 he has been ok with telling his true age, I think because it means he goes to school!

Grammy Staffy said...

Happy birthday, Brian. What a cutie pie you are.

This post makes me smile. What a darling story.

Grammy Staffy said...

Rebecca, I just read your comment on Lynell's blog. I didn't know that you were moving.When? Tell me about it.

I know that the move must be hard for you. I bet that you will miss the beach... I sure do. Even though we have lived here 28 years, I still miss being near the beach.

However, where ever you go you will have your ward family to make you feel at home.... and as hard as it is to move it is exciting too. Good luck.

p.s. If you have time drop by... I made you cyber breakfast this morning.

Shannon said...

What a cutie pa tutie.

I remember my sister had a fake birthday for Steele so he could start swimming lessons the next day so if anyone asked how old he was he would say 4. After they were over they had another "birthday" dinner and he turned 3 again. I wonder if that did any damage?

Grammy Staffy said...

June 15th
Thank you so much Rebecca for your sweet, sweet comment you made on my blog today. You know that I have always loved you!

I felt so blessed that Erin had such wonderful friends.

Erin said...

Happy Birthday Chica! I hope you have a great day! Dang we're getting old,huh? smile! XOXO