Tuesday, February 3, 2009

FHE reports

How did I get so blessed with such an amazing family! I have 5 AMAZING children! A wonderful, loving husband who respects and honors his priesthood but most importantly has a strong testimony which he bears to our children!


I am so thankful for the Family Home Evening program. What an inspiration it is in this time when families have so many activities going on it is hard to even be altogether! I find comfort in the words of the prophet that if we have family home evenings regularly, our kids should stay close to the gospel. With 5 kids, I cling to that promise! I need all the help I can get!
I come from a tradition of FHE. We held it every Monday night when I grew up and I remember learning a lot. I'm so grateful for that tradition so that now, as an adult responsible for my own family, FHE is not something I think about doing, it comes naturally. I can't go without it! (thanks mom and dad!)

That's not to say that FHE is always wonderful, spiritual and happy family bonding time. Sometimes, I just feel lucky to be altogether in the same place. However, I DO know, no matter how much the kids moan and complain or argue or seem to be totally not paying attention, it is NEVER a waste of time. If I have learned anything in being a mom for 14 years or working with primary age kids for the last 12, is that you never know what is going to sink into a child's heart or when. Sometimes the lessons that seems like no one was paying attention to is the one that sunk in. I know that I just need to do my part and the spirit will do the rest.

Our past few FHE have really been fun and uplifting. I wanted to start sharing what we've been doing so the kids can remember for when they have a family later on.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A few weeks ago we talked about having "AN ATTITIDE OF GRATITUDE." We started with the story of Jesus healing the 10 lepers and only 1 returning to give thanks.
We talked about how people can turn even a bad situation into being much more bearable if they think of the possitive things. We ended with a quote from our prophet, Thomas S. Monson which will be our new family motto.... "Think to Thank" Don't you LOVE that !! I'm going to have it displayed in our new home to remind us. How much happier we are when we realize all that we DO have instead of concentrating on things we wish we had. We also set forth a new challenge to think of 3 things to thank heavenly Father for before we pray.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The next week we had a lesson on the bearing of a true testimony. We talked about how a testimony is bearing witness of your belief in Jesus Christ and Principles of the Gospel. We don't need to share lengthy personal experiences or travel logs. We testify what we know or believe in about the truthfulness of the gospel. We all took the opportunity to bear our testimonies to eachother. What a sweet experience to hear my children bear their sweet testimonies. Danny and I are always telling them they need to not take our word for it but the gospel is true; but to truly find out for themselves. I felt the spirit enter the room. I know that they are each really striving to find a testimony of their own.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Last week, dad decided we needed to do something fun (which sometimes can be a challenge finding something we ALL think is fun and can agree upon). We decided to go to dinner and a movie. We went to dinner at this place called Richie's Diner. He is good friends with the founder of In-N-Out and named it after him. It's just an all american diner with steak, hamburgers shakes and good old apple pie - YUM!
Then we went to see the movie BOLT. This was the hard part; finding a movie we could ALL enjoy, even Tyson. I have to admit, Danny and I were secretly thinking it was going to be one of those "endure to the end for the sake of the kids" kind but we were all pleasantly surprised and ended up enjoying it! Tyson slept for the first part and enjoyed the end. It was entertaining to the point of laughing our loud. Even Kierstin couldn't complain since it was all about a girl and her dog (if you know Kierstin, you know how perfect that is!) Darling movie, we recommend it! Just an ejoyable night all around.


-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Yesterday, we had a FHE on the importance of finding good friends. President Hinkley said every member needs to #1: Be nourished by the word #2 Have a Calling and #3 have a friend. Of course we need to feel as if we are friends amongst our family but as we are seperated from our family at school and work most of the day, it is important we surround ourselves with people who will encourage us to make good choices not whom we have to fight for our standards from! We gave the example of "would you eat the cookie dough that had a little mud mixed in?"
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
I want to again bear my testimony of the importance of family home evening. The prophet has counselled us to hold it every family night with the promise if we do, our children will be blessed to gain testimonies of the gospel in which if they do stray from the gospel, they will return. What better reason do you need to hold family home evenings? I just know that's more than enough reason for me!








2 comments:

Grammy Staffy said...

What a wonderful post. I am a big fan of FHE. I know that all of ours were not perfect with our kids, but they a great help in raising them. They surely turned out well. I think following the prophet's advice to have FHE was an important part of it.

I love the lessons that you have posted. What a good mom you are.
I am sending you love, Lura

Melanie Jacobson said...

We've been working on FHE this year to make it more meaningful for James. We really want him to make good choices in friends so thi syear we decided to pick a theme on heroes. Every Monday, one of us shares our favorite hero from the scriptures and we talk about why they're a hero. Then we challenge James to look for those qualities in his friends. It really seems to be making an impact. When I realized I had NEVER heard him pray at church (not for class, Cubs, anything) I challenged him to do that and we did stories about heroes who prayed, like Joseph Smith and Daniel. He volunteered to pray in Cubs last week!