Friday, December 5, 2008

Veteran's Day in Murrieta

Still backtracking....

The kids got Veteran's Day off this year even though it was on a Tuesday. Dad had to work. (thanks dad!) I wanted to get OUT of the house and do something with the kids. I am NOT a homebody. I love being outside and DOING things.

So I got on the ever faithful internet and discovered that the City of Murrieta has a Veterans Day parade in Old Town section not far from our home. Better yet, they were going to have some vintage WWII jets do a fly over! Well, ever since the air show, Tyson has been an even more die hard fan of planes. In fact, that is one of the only 3 real words he'll say. He won't even say da-da, right now. He calls him ma (sorry dad!)

Only hitch, it was in 9 in the morning... I knew the older kids would want to sleep in. Brian was interested and I was going out with Tyson too. Of course when I went in at 8:15 to see if Bradley and Bryce wanted to go, no way, it'll be crowded anyway! I told Brian it might be crowded so we could go home any time he got bored. I didn't know what to expect our first year.

So we drive the couple miles to old town, no traffic really to speak of. I was wondering if I was in the right place as it was fairly easy to park. Yet, their were people lining the streets. We picked our spot, got a muffin & some chocolate milk


We sat down just in time for the much anticipated event....

As you can see, they flew low enough for us to see their markings so we could know what kind of jets they were if we knew our stuff, we didn't but they were still marvelous to us, especially Tyson.. this is how he felt about it...
They flew past 3 times. I don't know what it is but there is something exhiliarating about seeing jets fly over, some feeling of patriotism.

Of course there were other fun things to see... Army jeeps

flags, and of course, the faithful who serve us and help keep our freedom free!!

We stayed for about 40 mintues until, like I promised Brian, we left when he got tired of it all. While we missed our sister and 2 brothers, it was a fun ecursion for mom, Ty & Brain. I was really impressed by the fun things our new hometown puts together!
We made it up to everyone else by taking them to lunch.

No comments: