Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Heart, Mind & Soul of Gold

I LOVE watching the Olympics. It is such a wonderful thing that the World can, for the most part, put aside enough differences to let athletes from all over the world, some of whom have beliefs that are the extreme opposite, even to offense, into the same piece of the world and compete against each other with sportsmanship and consideration, for the most part.

But the most exciting, outstanding and inspirational moment in this Olympics happened Sunday Night during the Men's 4 X 100 meter relay with Michael Phelps, Garrett Weber-Gale, Cullen Jones & Jason Lezak. I can't even explain it to you other than to say that everyone, even the commentators, thought the French were going to win it by a slim margin. The French certainly believed it to the point of going around telling anyone who would listen "we are going to smash the Americans."

You especially believed that during the last lap of the pool on the way home. The French were ahead by a whole body length. If you have been watching swimming you know that if that happens on the final stretch home, they never catch up. But literally, the last half of the length of the pool,
Jason Lezak, the oldest member (like my age) and his 3rd Olympics, defeats the limits of the human body and pulls ahead of the French in literally the final seconds and brings home GOLD for the US. Wow, was he amazing and inspirational all at the same time.

Bradley & Bryce were up with me watching at 11:30 p.m. that night. I'm so glad we watched it all together. I'm sure we woke some neighbors with our yelling and screaming. It was really astounding, I can't explain it other than I had goosebumps watching it and am getting goosebumps now, every time I think of it.

When asked how he did it, Lezak said that he was "tired of losing." I told my boys, he didn't just have a heart of gold, he had a mind and soul of gold. Anything is possible. Never give up; so many object lessons taught in that moment. They both agreed and I hope they remember that always. I sure will. If you haven't seen it, here's the link:

http://www.nbcolympics.com/swimming/news/newsid=194272.html#lezaks+classic+finish+delivers+gold

2 comments:

Grammy Staffy said...

I love the olympics too. We have recorded all of it and are slowing working our way through all of it.

I am in awe of all of the atheles... especially since I've never had any athletic abilities.

I hope that you are doing well. I'm missed hearing from you for a while. I send love.

Erin said...

AMEN!! We have been glued to the TV ever since it started. I feel such a sense of pride every time another medal is won... almost like we earned it too. I feel like we are the American team cheering on our teammates. I love it!

Did you see Shalane Flanagan win the bronze in the 10,000 M run last night? She has been sick all week and was a bit behind until the very end. Her mom was in the stands screaming like crazy the entire time... when Shalane finished she look as pale as a ghost, like she was going to pass out- giving it her all. It brought tears to my eyes. She gave it her all and I felt SO proud.

Lots of amazing lessons to learn from the Olympics and the dedication of others. I love it!