Sunday, November 22, 2009

Camping at Cuyamaca

A purchase that we made that went a little above our means but I don't feel so guilty about is our trailer. I had always been camping as a kid. My dad took us to all sorts of little nooks and crannies that were off the beaten path when we lived in Utah.

I treasure all those memories. Even the ones where we had to set up the tent (you know the old fashioned kind where everyone has to have a pole to hold onto until they all get set up!) in the rain. When it was hard to get the fire going cuz it was too wet. Half the tent falling down in the night. Ahh, what adventure!

So when I married Danny and he said he liked to go camping we got all the gear. Which proved to be useful since he ended up being scout master for the next 7 years.

However, when he decided to get back into dirt bikes and we went out into the middle of nowhere, which was really terrific, don't get me wrong, until I asked where the bathroom facility was and he handed me the tp and a shovel! And come to find out, most ORV sites are like that, self contained. It was easy to talk me into the trailer.

In any case, I do feel guilty we don't take it out enough. So I planned a little weekend trip in mid October. I just chose some random state park in San Diego county since I haven't really been anywhere there except the beach camping, which I prefer Northern sites to southern in beach camping.

I was curious, and hopeful that it would be somewhat forested (I'm not fond of desert camping unless we have the dirt bikes)

I have to say I was more than pleasantly surprised. We arrived in the dark of night. Managed to find our spot, make a fire, roast s'mores and settle down for a pleasant night. It seemed like it would be pretty at night. It was really lovely in the morning.

It was called Lake Cyamaca, although we camped in the campground a few miles up. Unfortunately it had been 90% ravaged by the 2003 San Diego fires. Trees that were 500 years old had died although some were making a comeback. It was so interesting to see this once majestic forest, although just devasted, was making a comeback.

That morning, some firefighters came through the camp advertising a fundraising BBQ they were having that afternoon. We had planned on eating in the historic town of Julian but decided since someone was going to get our money it would be nice to give it to a good cause. Plus, I heard firefighters new how to BBQ so we decided to test it. We were rewarded by an incredible meal for a killer price. We gave the extra money we would have spent as a donation to the firehouse. It was so fun!

Here are the pics in random order...




Dad and Brad enjoying a yummy BBQ

Super Yummy BBQ!!
(FYI, firefighters can sure make a killer cooking fire!)

Even Tyson and Brian dug in!




Kierstin's going to kill me for posting this one..
Sorry Kierst, it's the only proof I have you were with us!
(note, be more camera friendly next time!)

Danny, Bryce, Brian, Ty & Myself were fortunate enuogh to get in on the ranger guided hike.
He explained all the history of the area and how the forest was making a comeback.



For miles and miles, this is what you see. You can just imagine how lush and beautiful it must have been. However, you can see all the shorter greenery coming in to make a comeback.
It's really mother nature reinventing herself, wonderous!



What has Brian been caughting eating one too many of? Hmmm....

Proof that boys never tire of being "king of the mountain!"

Tyson was dead asleep when we got there. Never know it by this pic.
He perked right up when he heard the words "fire and s'mores!"


Have to have proof mom was there too!


K Bryce, I think you're having a little too much wild & crazy fun!!

What boy doesn't love a good fire?
Especially one they helped dad build.


I think this is proof enough of the fun we had.
Can't have fun without getting down and dirty tootsies!!

5 comments:

Erin said...

What a fun trip! Your kids are so dang cute... and getting so big!

We love camping too! Wish we lived closer, we would love to join you!

(thank you for your sweet message on my blog... you make me smile!)

Grammy Staffy said...

What fun memories you are making for your sweet family. I have wonderful memories of when we went camping with our gang when they were young. Those were good times.
Keep up the good work. Hugs, Lura

Grammy Staffy said...

Hello again
I have Christmas greetings for you on my last 2 posts. come over when you have time
Hugs, Lura

Steph Strike said...

hi rebecca! will you email me your email address? i made our blog private and i want to send you an invite. email me at stevieinthecity at gmail dot com

Anonymous said...

I have the hi res version of the close up shot of the wild and crazy boy on display life size in my room. He gets a ton of kisses. In fact, last night I put my digital picture frame on my mattress at the head of my bed and I spent some quality quiet time before I drifted off to dreamland laying there and kissing this gorgeous little beauty very passionately as though he belonged to me. I buried my face in his neck and started kissing the little beauty then slowly worked my way up to his cheek and mouth and lips. His lips got a good working over, especially with my mouth and tongue. I was laying there running the tip of my tongue around his lips, looking at his beautiful face and laughing and telling him how pretty he looks. It is exhilarating to have such a gorgeous boy right there in front of you when you are laying in bed.